Saturday, October 6, 2012

Turnip Greens, Farmer's Market, and a Pomelo

If I could snap my fingers and be at my Granny Burt's house right now I would. I have been craving delicious turnip greens with a splash of pepper sauce. Since I can't magically appear at Granny's house, I guess I must settle on making my own. So I came up with my very own recipe for turnip greens. That's right folks.

Here's how it went down....

I didn't have any hog jowls or ham hocks, so I used bacon instead! What the heck is a hock and a jowl anyhow?

The Ingredients:
1 pound of turnip greens
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic minced
4 or 5 strips of bacon
1/2 cup of water
Little bit of sugar
Little bit of pepper
Little bit of salt
Little bit of crushed red pepper flakes
Just add whatever flavors you like! 

I browned the bacon in my trusty big bad boy dutch oven over medium heat.

After that I put in the onions and garlic. Let that saute for a bit.
I poured in the water and added the sugar, pepper, salt and pepper flakes. 
Bring to a boil.
Then I filled the pot with greens and let them simmer down. 
Continue to add the greens.
Let them simmer for a good 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve that yummy goodness with some cornbread and some homemade pepper sauce. Or add some Louisiana Hot Sauce! Oh my!

I bet they will be even better tomorrow!

"I figure it's almost like a balance. We're eating these wonderful collard greens and turnip greens which are so medicinally good for you and, OK, so what if it
has a little ham hock in it?"- Paula Deen 

That Paula is cray cray!

Oh, and I scored all of these great items at the local farmer's market. 
Aren't they beautiful!

On the Thompson menu this week: butternut squash soup, eggplant Parmesan with a fresh salad, and chicken breast stuffed with herbs, cheese, and garlic with a side of roasted veggies.

Out of curiosity I bought a pomelo? A pomelo. It's about the size of a cantelope.
Not sure what to do with it. Tips anyone? This pomelo might be entitled to its own blog post. 

No comments: