Monday, October 15, 2012

Cousins and a Baptism

Friends, it was quite a special time around the Thompson household over the weekend.

We had Andrew's mom and dad down for the weekend! And to kick it off, we went to see Hannah, Will, and Emma to celebrate Hannah Bops 11th birthday!! What?!? When did she grow up and start having boyfriends and talking like the cutest valley girl ev-er.
 I love these kiddos! It is so awesome getting to see them grown up.

Sunday was finally here and it was time for Mr. Burt's baptism.

You see folks, all throughout the Bible you can see the thread of God faithfully working in the lives of His people from generation to generation.

"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations." Deuteronmoy 7:9

"And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generation for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you." Genesis 17:7


My father-in-law always says that when a baby is baptized, it is like an engagement ring is being put on the baby because a promise or a covenant is being made with the parents, the church family, and with God.

A promise is made that as a family they will do their part in seeing that the baby comes to know who God is. A promise is being made that the church family will do its part in praying and loving that child. It is also a pouring out of the Holy Spirit to work in the child's life.

There is something special about an infant baptism. I always tear up when I witness a baby having the water poured over them and the parents making the vows. This one of course was much different being that it was my very own flesh and blood being baptized. I made a promise along with Andrew that I would do my part in bringing this sweet boy up in the church, reading him scripture, and praying for him to know God. I witnessed a new church make a promise to love us, support us, and pray for our baby to come to know God. I also saw my father-in-law pour water over our baby to symbolize the pouring out of the Holy Spirit to work in Burt's life. I cried.

I cried because I know how important it is keeping these vows. 
I cried because I believed the church will love and pray for our baby. 
I cried because I know God has been faithful to us, 
and I know he will be faithful to our little Burt. 
I have hope that Burt will know God.
Our covenant child! 

We had some sweet family time this past weekend, and it will most definitely be a time I will always remember.

**Sidenote: My mom was present, but unfortunately she was covered in spit up during her photo session. :) haha!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I cannot wait to meet this precious little boy! I am so proud of you, Case, and so happy for you and Andrew. Y'all are already the best parents in the world, I'm sure...and I can't wait to see y'all raise him up to be godly and wonderful, just like his parents!