Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oh, Sweet Heaven!

I made the-best-down-home-southern-girl-dinner tonight! I am so proud of myself! Woo! Nothing gets me more excited than a yummy southern meal!

I so bad want to go into the kitchen and eat all of the leftovers. Self-control. I know the hubs would totally judge, so I am going to sit right here and share that yummy goodness with ya'll instead!

Do you remember that turnip greens recipe from earlier? Well, I made those. I didn't have any onion, so I added a little extra garlic, some onion powder, and Tony's (Cajun seasoning). I do believe they were even better this time around! I am getting good at the greens!

BUT, what really made the night exceptoinal was the Creamy Shrimp and Grits Casserole. Oh, and don't judge yet from the name. I know the word casserole is quite cringe worthy. I cringe at the thought of the word, too! Anyway, I believe I got this recipe from my sweet sister-in-law. I don't know why I haven't made it until now! It is so dang good!

Here it is!

Shrimp and Grits Casserole
2 cups of milk
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. butter
3 oz. pkg. of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 large egg whites
1 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp (chopped/whole-whatever you prefer)
Hot pepper sauce (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine milk and broth in a medium heavy sauce pan, bring to a boil.

Gradually add grits and salt to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk. 

Cook 3-5 minutes or until thick.

Remove from heat and stir in parmesan, butter, and cream cheese.

Then stir in parsley, lemon juice, egg whites, and shrimp.

Spoon into a 11x17 inch baking dish (coated with cooking spray).

Bake for 20 minutes until set.
Yes, that is a paper plate. Momma just cooked all that good food, and Momma needs a short-cut every now and then. ha!

So, there you have it. Serve that yummy goodness with a side of turnip greens and some homemade cornbread. And add a splash of pepper sauce on those greens and things will be glorious!

Oh! Sweet Heaven? To describe food? Exaggerate much? I know, I know. Heaven, I am sure of it, will have some good feasting going on. Our senses will be made anew! I sure hope there are greens, grits, and pepper sauce. :)

No comments: