Tuesday, October 9, 2012

How Sweet and Awesome

Andrew and I have found a church family here in the deep, deep south.When changing churches you have to go before the elders and give your testimony. The emotions that led up to this past Sunday were insane! Oh no, I have to reflect on the past? The good and the bad. Are they going to like us? So this means we are officially leaving our old church? Goodbye to FPC Tuscumbia? Is my face going to turn bright red? Will I say something stupid? Now, are these elders really wanting to hear the bad stuff or could I just give them the G rated version? Ahhhh!!!

So one thing at a time.

First- Say Goodbye

The previous year in Jackson, Andrew and I did not commit to a church. We weren't satisfied with any church really. They're not friendly. The order of worship is wrong. The preaching isn't good. There are no young couples. Excuse after excuse. We missed our little Tuscumbia church and nothing was measuring up. Really the problem was us. We did not want to make the effort. Sure, the church should be friendly and inviting to new people, but we needed to be friendly and inviting as well. We did not want to get involved in the small groups. We did not want to commit. We just wanted to sit in the back pew and go unnoticed. No wonder we never found a new church home! The move to Mobile had to be different. We were going to do things differently this time. We would open up, get involved, make some friends, and find a ministry. We knew this church would not be exactly like our previous church, and it would be unfair to compare. We had to officially say goodbye to Tuscumbia, so we could say hello to a new church.

Hello, Eastern Shore Pres.

Second- The Testimony

It is never fun talking about what a rascal you were in the past, and how you are currently still being a rascal. Especially in front of 12 old dudes! But I had to. I entered the room and 12 sets of fatherly eyes looked at me. Oh crap! I told them about how my best friend asked me to go to church in the second grade. I told them that's where I learned about who Jesus is and who I was in comparison to Him. The reality of sin in my life became apparent. But no matter what I did, I could not quit sinning. I tried very hard to be good, but it was impossible. Oh, I see that's what Jesus is about. He takes our place. Got it! Well sort of. You see, I would mess up. Like hanging out in cotton fields in 9th grade til 11th grade so I could drink, smoke, and cuss like a sailor, and then show up at church feeling pretty rotten.

Oh, and I looked like this.....

Haha!.....Anyway....

I would always feel the need to walk an aisle or just do something because of the guilt. I was missing the whole point of Jesus. It was not until I met Andrew's father my senior year of high school. He was my Senior Bible teacher, and he knew a lot. And an added bonus was that he had a pretty cute son! (that's another blog) He taught me about God seeing us through Christ's perfect record. So when I did mess up, all  I needed to do was confess and turn from my sin instead of walking an aisle or working for my salvation. That I was accepted no matter what. Wow! That's comforting. These words resonated with me acceptance, favor, steadfast love, assurance, and pardoned. A huge weight lifted! This encouraged me to do things for God out of gratitude and not out of guilt for my sins. All throughout college and mostly while in Tuscumbia, I continued to grow in the knowledge of who God is. I learned so much about God's sovereignty, sanctification, justification, pre-incarnate manifestion, grace, propitiation, election, atonement, total depravity.... and I am still learning.

Whew! Well that wasn't too bad. My face did turn red. My palms did sweat. And the elders accepted us into the church anyhow. Well that right there is a picture of what this is all about anyway. I am accepted.

We are in a peaceful place right now. We have a new church. The people have been super friendly and inviting. I am part of a women's small group that meets on Tuesdays. We have a young couples group that meets on Fridays for some hangout time. I have a playgroup. Andrew's getting involved with a men's morning group. Burt gets to hang out in the nursery with all the cute little girls! Hey-O! That's right! He is the only little guy! Hopefully between all the pregnant girls at church, he will get a guy friend soon.

We love FPC, Tuscumbia, and we are excited about Eastern Shore Pres in Fairhope. I have been singing this hymn in my mind the past week or so.

How Sweet and Awesome Is This Place 
With Christ within the doors,
While everlasting love displays
The choicest of her stores!


We long to see Thy churches full,
That all the chosen race
May with one voice, and heart and soul,
Sing Thy redeeming grace.


We absolutely love the Church.

No comments: