Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Old GE


My husband and I just moved into a house where there is a vintage (1950's) GE stove. I was pretty stoked! What's the first thing you do when you got a sweet looking vintage stove? You go to Anthropologie of course and get a cute oven mit and spoon rest to put on the old GE.
After receiving a housewarming gift from my mother-in-law consisting of shiny new pots and pans, I thought that this is a great opportunity to step it up. New house, new pots and pans, and an old stove as inspiration I set off to the grocery store.

Well my first meal to cook was Hot Taco Rice!

Hot Taco Rice:

1 lb. Ground Beef
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups of medium salsa
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 1/2 cups original minute rice

Garnishes: chopped tomato, sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sliced black olives

Brown beef and onion in skillet. Add salsa, tomato sauce, and bouillon cube. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare rice as directed on package. Serve beef mixture over rice; top with garnishes.

Enjoy!


Also, the Anthropologie spoon rest was the inspiration for the colors in the house. So my Mom came for a visit and we went to Lowe's with the spoon rest in tow and found the colors for our living room, kitchen, dining room, and foyer. We were at Lowe's for maybe thirty minutes! Just a tip to take your inspiration with you when picking out colors!

3 comments:

nicole said...

Great first post!

Amanda said...

Love that you have a blog! Its really cute and making me want one! AND could you post some pics of the new house? Easter may be my first return and mom said it looks SO cute! Plus I want to see this spoon rest :) Why does the recorder not count as an instrument??

Unknown said...

I will post pictures as soon as everything is in place! Boooo....Easter is so far away! I can only play Hot Cross Buns on the recorder, so it really doesn't count as an instrument I can play. Get a blog.