Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Book Reviews

I love reading! I wanted to share 4 books that I have read within the past couple of months....three of my favorites and one not so much.


1. Sold by Patricia McCormick
It is about a young girl, who is unknowingly sold into prostitution by her stepfather. The author is not too graphic but does get the point across of how horrendous the brothels are in the red-light district of Calcutta.
LOVE THIS BOOK!! It made me want to move to India and fight for the women and children in Calcutta.

2. All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg
Rick Bragg writes a memoir about his childhood struggles as a "dirt-poor" boy in northeast Alabama. He becomes a reporter for The New York Times and gives all the credit of his success to his mother.
I fell in love with his momma! He is a great writer and I enjoyed this book very much. Thanks Aunt Debbie!

4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
LOVED IT! It is 1962 in Jackson, Mississippi where you meet 3 southern women Abilene, Skeeter, and Minny. I seriously laughed out loud. READ IT!

3. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
It is about an army dude falling in love with a chick while he was on leave for two weeks. He goes back to Iraq and 9/11 happens which makes him re-enlist. Girl gets impatient and falls for another dude. Army guy ends up doing a selfless act towards the end. I am just sort of done with these stories from ole' Nicholas....A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, Nights in Rodanthe....same kind of stuff over and over again! Sorry Mr. Sparks.

Let me know of any books you think I should read!

No comments: