Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Granny Burt

I want to write a memoir one day about all of the crazy stories about the Burt side of my family. Most of the stories would include my Granny Burt. Most of the hilarious stories that I would share about her would include a few choice words. When you hear an 85 year old lady drop a curse word, you are always caught off guard. You would definitely get some good stories or one liners after she has had a glass from her boxed wine. Mind you she is not a big drinker, but she does like the occasional glass of homemade muscadine wine or boxed Franzia (yucky). One of my favorite stories of her involves an uncles ex and my brothers ex and her old self wanting to trip them.  She obviously doesn't like it when others mess with her children or grandchildren.

The lady never stops. Even at 85. I mean what other 85 year old lady mows her own yard and prepares a meal every Sunday for a family of 15? Whenever I go to stay with her, she makes my favorite things either pecan or lemon pie, butter beans and fried okra. All of my sweet memories of growing up with her has her cooking in the kitchen, picking out of the garden, stocking up the freezer, or sweeping off the porch. Lady knows how to run a home.

I think often about my Granny Burt. When I need a little bit of her wit and charm to cheer me up, I call her. When I need a little advice about how to make turnip greens, fry the perfect piece of chicken, or make meringue, I call her. When I need to be reminded about my father, I call her.

Today marks five years since the death of my daddy. Oh I miss him like crazy. Such a devastating time, but also a time where the Lord drew me to himself. I often think about how my Granny felt during this time. How much pain she felt when she found him. How her heart broke losing her first born son. I often feel the heaviness in my own chest if I think about it, and I know that's how she feels. It also makes me think of God as well. Did he have that same heaviness when Jesus died? Did he grieve and mourn for those three days until Jesus was resurrected?

I know this all seems dark and morose, but knowing Jesus especially during these dark and difficult times makes it so much better. I think I would still be stuck in my grief full of denial, bitterness, anger, and depression if it weren't for the gospel. I know that we live in a fallen world that is groaning for redemption and restoration, and that's where Jesus gives us hope.

My Granny has been calling me more often since Burt was born. The little rascal looks so much like my dad, and she just cannot get enough of him.

The Lord does take away, but he gives abundantly more.

2 comments:

nicole said...

Welcome back to your blog! Good entry!

Rachel said...

Oh this just makes me cry! You are so precious, Cas! And those memories you have are priceless. Aren't you so glad Granny Burt got to meet her little namesake? He is adorable. I can't wait to love on him!