Friday, November 9, 2012

Impatience, Irritability, and Selfishness

I am new at this parenting thing....4 months to be exact. But it didn't take long to know that parenting has revealed some terrible things about myself. You see, when I want to blog, watch some TV, read a book, or clean a little, I can't because I have this little rascal crying in need of a diaper change, to be fed, or in need of attention. Here it comes. This wave of frustration comes over me because I am in the middle of doing something important! Not really. What I wanted to do is now interrupted. Hello, selfishness? When my little Burt wakes me up at 4:55 in the morning, and I stomp into his room to feed him and change his diaper. Me....Irritable?? Oh, big time!

My lack of patience has been greatly revealed as well. Especially at the end of the day, when I have had just about all I can take. Thankfully, my sweet husband comes home from a long day of work and helps take care of our boy. I sometimes countdown the minutes until he gets home! Momma needs a break! And I really don't have to ask Andrew to do it. It is just that he really has missed the little guy and wants to play with him, bathe him, feed him, and cuddle with him. Fills my heart to the brim. 

When I am impatient, irritable, and selfish, God shows me that he is endlessly patient, abundantly compassionate, and incredibly selfless. He gives me grace upon grace upon grace.

I read a blog from The Gospel Coalition's website about parenting, and how it refines us. God uses my Burt to grow my heart. So those frustrating moments, like when he won't keep his pacifier in his mouth or when he pees all over the wall, are for my good. It is an opportunity for God to show me my sin and create in me a clean heart.

Sometimes you have to mummify your baby to keep that darn pacifier in!

No comments: